Friday 6 June 2014

Pope Francis' New Biopic In The Works ... Starring Antonio Banderas?

Pope Francis is the world’s most famous Latin American and a
biopic about his life would likely reach sky-level box office sales
around the world.
So, who should play the Holy man? One of the directors behind a
project already in the works says Spanish actor Antonio Banderas
could well fit the bill – a rumor that has been swirling after Variety
magazine published a story about this in recent days.
Daniele Luchetti, producer and co-director of “Call Me Francisco,”
told La Nación in Argentina that Banderas playing Pope Francis
was an idea that has not been thought out yet.
“Banderas is an actor that I admire a lot and I like it to be him,” the
Italian filmmaker said. “At this moment, I am very free to choose. It
might be more an actor who can impersonate Bergoglio in his
infancy, in his youth and as an adult. There are a lot of actors I
like, including some Argentinian actors.”
“I will try to find a person who understands Bergoglio’s
personality,” he continued. “For me it’s not as important to find
someone that looks like him, but finding someone who
understands deeply who he is.”
The script of the movie is based on the book by journalist
Evangelina Himitian “Francisco, the Pope of the People.”
The director said they want to tell the Pope’s story from the point
of view of a layperson who has been captivated by the Pope – like
him.
“I accepted the offer to direct the film because I felt a strong
emotion upon hearing the words of the new Pope and want to
understand where it comes from, what are the reasons for his
talent, his maturity as deep and simple at the same time. I
understand why so many people can connect to him, including
me,” said Luchetti, who stated is not Catholic. “That’s what is
more surprising. I am not Catholic and yet I am so interested in
his words. I am doing this film to understand why I am so
interested in the Pope.”
Luchetti said filming will begin in October and is expected to hit
theaters in February 2015. It will be in Spanish with scenes filmed
in Argentina, Germany and Italy. Casting will begin in July in
Buenos Aires, Spain and other countrie

No comments:

Post a Comment